UC Merced's Principles of Community
The University of California, Merced is committed to serving the people of the San Joaquin Valley, California, the nation and the world through excellence in education, research and public service. We strive to provide educational opportunities for all.
Our founding principles of community guide both the individual and collective behaviors of students, faculty and staff. The university expects that all of its members will emulate these fundamental principles as individuals and as a community.
- We celebrate the spirit of academic excellence and strive to promote our University and its strengths through our daily interactions with students, staff, faculty and the community at large.
- We maintain a working and learning environment based on integrity, fairness, cooperation, professionalism and respect.
- We are a community comprised of individuals with multiple cultures, lifestyles and beliefs. We celebrate this diversity for the breadth of ideas and perspectives it brings.
- We value the creativity of our students, staff and faculty, and acknowledge both their individual and collaborative achievements.
- We encourage health and wellness and strive to develop a sense of environmental responsibility and stewardship among all the members of our community.
- We are committed to achieving tolerance in our community. All persons – faculty, staff and students – regardless of background or lifestyle should participate and work together in a collegial atmosphere that we strive to make free of any and all acts of discrimination or harassment.
- We respect, support and value the civil and respectful expression of individual beliefs and opinions.
APPROVED: JANUARY 2003
Note: These are the Founding Principles of Community of the University of California, Merced. In the years ahead, they will undoubtedly be reviewed and modified by future UC Merced faculty, students and staff.
For those who wish to review Academic and Staff Personnel Policies regarding nondiscrimination, please visit the At Your Service website. For further information, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com.