The enduring legacy of slavery, segregation, racism and oppression in America must be addressed systemically. As we stand in the flames of injustice, merely condemning expressions and acts that dehumanize, silence and kill is not enough. We must go beyond and do more. UC Merced (UCM) is fully committed to addressing the systemic conditions that create injustice, a global scourge that has been perpetuated over centuries.
The “2021-2022 UC Merced Black Research Fellowship,” funded by a private donor, is a fellowship program housed under the Dean of Students Office that provides four $2,500 research fellowships (2021-2022) for the creation of projects that demonstrate a commitment and ability to advance racial justice and black liberation at UC Merced. Projects must be intersectional and address: anti-blackness, anti-black violence and policing, historical trauma and radical healing and/or black excellence and success.
Black Research Fellowship 2021-2022
- UC Merced undergraduate and graduate students (must have a faculty project advisor), staff, and faculty. Awardess must be in good standing with the university.
- Available for the Fellowship Term: October 15th, 2021-May 6th, 2022
- Demostrated committment to and interest in advancing racial justice and black liberation at UC Merced.
UC Merced Black Research Fellowship Requirements:
- Create, implement and complete approved research project by May 6th, 2022 demonstrating a commitment to advancing racial justice and black liberation at UC Merced. Projects must be intersectional and address: anti-Blackness, anti-Black violence and policing, historial trauma and radical healing and/or black excellence and success.
- Complete Fellowship Term: October 15th, 2021-May 6th, 2022.
- Attend monthly 30-minute check in's with the UC Merced Black Research Fellowship Committee throughout fellowship term.
- Armando Contreras, Interim Dean of Students
- Representative from OEDI
- UCMBA Faculty Representative
- 2 Additional Faculty Representatives (senate/non-senate)
- Staff and Faculty of Color Association (SFCA) Representative
- Pan-Afrikan Council Student Representative
- Present at the Spring 2022 Black Excellence Research Symposium on May 6th, 2022
All application materials are due on or before Friday, October 8th, 2021 (5:00pm)
Send Resume/CV to: Emily Alpert, Administrative Assistant, email@example.com
Zoom Info Sessions: Meeting ID (292 138 8721) Passcode: UCMBRF
- 9/14/21 (11:30am-12:00pm)
- 9/16/21 (2:00pm-2:30pm)
- 9/17/21 (9:00am-9:30am)
- 9/20/21 (4:00pm-4:30pm)
For questions about the fellowship, please contact: Armando Contreras, Interim Dean of Students, firstname.lastname@example.org