The enduring legacy of slavery, segregation, racism and oppression in America must be addressed systemically. As we stand in the flames of injustice, merely condemning expressions and acts that dehumanize, silence and kill is not enough. We must go beyond and do more. UC Merced (UCM) is fully committed to addressing the systemic conditions that create injustice, a global scourge that has been perpetuated over centuries.
The “2022-2023 UC Merced Black Research Fellowship,” funded by a private donor, is a fellowship program housed under the Dean of Students Office that provides four $2,500 research fellowships (2022-2023) for the creation of projects that demonstrate a commitment and ability to advance racial justice and black liberation at UC Merced. Projects must be intersectional and address: anti-blackness, anti-black violence and policing, historical trauma and radical healing and/or black excellence and success.
Black Research Fellowship 2022-2023
- UC Merced undergraduate and graduate students (must have a faculty project advisor), staff, and faculty. Awardess must be in good standing with the university.
- Available for the Fellowship Term: October 17th, 2022-April 28th, 2023
- Demostrated committment to and interest in advancing racial justice and black liberation at UC Merced.
UC Merced Black Research Fellowship Requirements:
- Create, implement and complete approved research project by May 28th, 2022 demonstrating a commitment to advancing racial justice and black liberation at UC Merced. Projects must be intersectional and address: anti-Blackness, anti-Black violence and policing, historial trauma and radical healing and/or black excellence and success.
- Complete Fellowship Term: October 17th, 2022- April 28th, 2023.
- Attend monthly 30-minute check in's with the UC Merced Black Research Fellowship Committee throughout fellowship term.
- Heather French, Associate Vice Chancellor and Dean of Students
- Hala Alnagar, Inclusive Excellence Initiatives Coordinator of Equity, Justice & Inclusive Excellence (EJIE)
- Tommy Tran, (SFCA) Representative
- Present at the Spring 2023 Black Excellence Research Symposium on April 28th, 2023
- Submit a 2-3 page impact report by April 28th, 2023
Application Deadline : 5:00pm on Friday, October 7th, 2022
Use the QR Code from the flyer or visit https://tinyurl.com/UCMBRF to submit your application
Submit your Resume/CV to Emily Alpert, Administrative Assistant in the Dean of Students Office; email@example.com
For questions about the fellowship, please contact: Dean of Students Office